Will you be attending @nsa_northsheep 2023?
It's looking to be a fantastic day with seminars, demonstrations, a farm tour of the Woodman’s 930-acre Bradford House Farm, a traditional Northumberland livestock and arable farm and an audience with @janethughes Programme Director, Future Farming and Countryside Programme at @defrauk
Harry Morshead, Associate Director, Rural Chartered Surveyor said of Janet’s attendance at North Sheep 2023: “It is great news that Janet Hughes is coming to North Sheep. Her attendance shows the “pull” of the event but also that she and hopefully the department are willing to engage and listen to concerns. Janet did make an appearance at last year’s Northern Farming Conference where I spoke at length to her about the current state of the industry. I highlighted the badly thought out phasing out of BPS, the delinked payments and the “reference period” (and the consequences this had for new entrants/purchasers who were taking on farms without access to the reference period), plus that further incentives were needed for CS particularly for upland (SDA) farmers. A recent DEFRA announcement has said that this reference period is now transferable whilst CS rates have again increased. These changes are welcome, albeit still not perfect, it does though show that Janet Hughes is receptive, and we welcome the opportunity to put more of our opinions across and hopefully shape future policies, as I think we all agree that they are far from perfect.”
Alongside sponsoring the show we also have @youngsrps experts Tom Whitehead and Katie Proctor delivering the 10am seminar, 'Resilience to Change'.
You can find us on stand 115 for a chat about how our rural experts can assist you in improving efficiency within your rural business.
What’s happening on the day:
The Farm Tour of the Woodman’s 930-acre Bradford House Farm, a traditional Northumberland livestock and arable farm. During the farm tour visitors will see:
- A field of Mules Ewes with Texel Lambs
- A field of Texel Ewes with Texel Lambs
- A field of Blackface Ewes with Mule Lambs
- A field of Blackface Ewes with Blackface Lambs
- A field of Blackie Hoggs
The cattle will include:
- Suckler Cows and Calves from the Woodmans’ Suckler herd
- Two fields of year-old Weaned Calves, Bulls and Heifers
- A field of Bulling Heifers
- Two fields of Bullocks and Heifers, 22-months-old ready for market
- A field of twenty cows and autumn born calves
- Post-mortem demonstration on a deceased sheep by vet Ben Strugnell
- An all-female line-up in the sheep shearers and handlers who will highlight the skill required to shear sheep at a world class level, with Bradford House Mule Hoggs
- The ‘NSA Next Generation Young Shepherd Competition,’ with young entrant’s being tested on shepherding skills such as lamb selection, Ram MOTs, sheep shearing, stock judging, foot care and handling techniques, vaccinating, and flock management issues.
- The Youngs RPS, seminar Resilience to Change
- “Carbon - Understanding the Journey to Net Zero - The journey for farmers to a Net Zero future and turning the challenge to opportunity”.
- The Looking Beyond Our Shores
- Getting a foothold on The Sheep Farming Ladder.
For further information and a full programme of events please visit: www.northsheep.org.uk or to contact your local youngsRPS Rural Expert to discuss your farm business.